KUALA LUMPUR (June 6): Concerns have already been raised over the safety of Taman Metropolitan Kepong users as a result of two on-going high-rise residential projects on the edge of the park’s jogging track.
“Objects could slip from the construction site onto the jogging track. Similarly, in future, once the buildings are occupied, there may be stray objects that might belong to the park area,” said Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng throughout a trip to the park today. He cited an episode in which a boy was killed by way of a falling object at a set in Brickfields.
Both projects lying on the edge of the park are The Henge by Aset Kayamas Sdn Bhd and Mizumi Residences by Wawasan Metro Bina Sdn Bhd.
In accordance with Lim, although the sites of both of these projects were gazetted as green space, the lands were approved for the development of the 2 condominium projects in 2015.
“No real matter what reason the prior government has for de-gazetting the land for private development, the building structures are up now and we’re asking the developers to produce safety measures (to protect park users),”said Lim.
Also present throughout the visit was Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) executive director of planning Datuk Najib Mohd.
Najib said both developers have already been told to submit the safety measures they plan to hold out, to be submitted before Hari Raya and the instalment must be performed right following the festive break.
“We can see there are catch nets round the buildings but more things must be done to ensure the safety of the park users because this is a public park with many joggers. We’re requesting an overhang of two meters to prevent falling objects from injuring park users,” explained Najib.
The Henge is anticipated to be completed by September as the RUMAWIP part of the project, KepongMas, is anticipated to be completed by the first quarter of next year.
Mizumi Kepong will soon be completed by November 2020.
“Last week I have sent a request for an end work order to be issued to the 2 developers pending the safety measures,” Lim noted.
Meanwhile, Taman Metropolitan Kepong’s main open air car park has been closed concerning way too many heavy vehicles are deploying it and may pose a public safety hazard.
As a substitute, many users are parking their cars at the joggers’entrance along Jalan Metro Perdana Barat 14, which can be in a deplorable condition.
“The access road is the main Mizumi Residences’construction land and the developer has promised to upgrade the access road in addition to the entrance for joggers and cyclists. They don’t need to hold back the project to be completed to upgrade the road. They can and must certanly be doing it now,” Lim noted.
The request was answered by Najib immediately by instructing the developer to hold out the upgrading work immediately and that the work must certanly be completed per month from now.
When it comes to the possible lack of car parking facilities, which can be also causing traffic issues along Jalan Metro Perdana Barat 14, a seven-storey free carpark will soon be built on the currently closed main carpark of the park.
Melati Ehsan Group of Companies is building the carpark and according to its project director Leong Chee Kian, construction work began in April and will soon be completed in 24 months.